Skip to main content

Can you travel internationally, once already outside the US with a bench warrant for felony eluding

Richmond, VA |

is a bench warrant for felony eluding a bad enough crime to be extradited for?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Do you mean being extradited from say Europe (by European authorities) to the US? I doubt that is an answer anyone can give. It seems doubtful to me that an international government is going to take someone in overseas. However, is it possible...I imagine yes.

What is more likely, at least in my experience, is that when the person decides to come back to the US, they get picked up at the airport.

Either way, that is the problem with being on the run. The person is always going to have to be concerned about being picked up when they least expect it.

Jame S. Abrenio

This answer does not create a attorney/client relationship, but is intended solely in the court of discussion. It is always my recommendation to retain an attorney whenever a court appearance is necessary. This recommendation is highlighted when it relates to an individual's criminal record.


It is extremely unlikely that you will be detained anywhere outside of the US based on a warrant for fleeing and eluding.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.


Unless you a very high profile fugitive, it is extremely unlikely that the VA authorities are going to involve the State Department to get notice of the warrant distributed internationally through Interpol. I would guess that when you cross the border from say France to Spain, your passport will not be flagged and you will be treated like any other traveler. Once you come back to the U.S., however, you will be picked up.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.


I might add, stay away from US consulates. In similar cases they have confiscated passports.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer