Can you transfer power of attorney from an individual from one state to another in another state?

Asked about 5 years ago - Oak Grove, MO

A relative who has power of attorney over a family member lives in one state and I wish to take it over, however I live in another state. I will be bringing this family member to live with me. What steps do I need to take.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Preston Crandall


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . If the existing Power permits the Agent to name a successor, co-agent or alternate agent, then this is possible. If not, then the Principal (the person who signed the Power) will need to execute a new Power naming you as Agent. Of course, this can only happen if the Principal is still competent. If the Principal is not competent, and the existing Power lacks the necessary provisions, you will need to open a Guardianship and Conservatorship proceeding in Probate court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,985 answers this week

2,955 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,985 answers this week

2,955 attorneys answering