Can you terminate non custodial fathers parental rights in virginia

Asked about 1 year ago - Newport News, VA

ncp (nonCustodial Parent) is in and out of jail, child is 5 and knows nothing about him never been there for him doesn't care hasn't paid child support in years hasn't had study job and if he did work was under table hasn't filled taxes in years owes over $15,000 in child support

Attorney answers (1)

  1. H. Eugene Oliver III


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can only terminate a parent's right in Virginia if the state is involved and there is a foster care plan in place. So to answer your question, non-payment of support and being in and out of jail is not grounds for a termination of parental rights in Virginia.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,251 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,251 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary