Can you take away the rights of a parent to sexual abused the children. if so how.

Asked about 1 year ago - Plant City, FL

my girlfriend's children father was convicted of lewd behavior to a child under the age of 16. he spent four years. now he is taking her to court of visitation/custody. what can we do. he has never paid child support. and has even filed papers so that the amount that he owes could be forgiven. the children have told me stories of how he used to beat their mother. what can be done.

1. Brent Allan Rose

6

Answered . First, child support won't be forgiven. He has to pay like anyone else. Next, he will get timeshare, but you friend needs to ask that it be supervised, in a visitation center for a couple of years if possible, but with a trusted relative if not.

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

5

Answered . He cannot get child support forgiven. And as for time sharing with the child, if he petitions the court he may end up getting some, but I would imagine a judge is going to order it to be supervised. Much more info would be needed so if there is indeed a court action filed I would recommend you consult with a local attorney.

3. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues re: child support. Just because someone attempts to establish some measure of contact or time-sharing does not guarantee success, however, it is likely to happen if not only for short, supervised periods of time. Notwithstanding, you really need an attorney to look at all of your facts---this forum is not geared towards comprehensive case analysis. Thanks and have a great day.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

4. Betty Elaine Jones

4

Answered . More information is needed in general but the Court could conceivably allow him visitation time but it likely will be in a supervised setting such as the child advocacy center. He has to pay child support and the Court will not let him reduce the amount he owes or forgive it unless he has proof that he paid it or you agree to give him credit. Your girlfriend should consult with an attorney in the area. Most Avvo attorneys offer a free consultation. Good Luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

5. John Arthur Smitten

2

Answered . You have to file a petition to terminate parental rights. It is a high burden of proof.