Can you sue walmart if you were running inside from the rain and slip and fell?

it was raining hard i ran in side walmart but someone tryed to mop up the rain water on the floor and the floor was slick the wet floor signs were not in the main walking area they were in the actual store can i sue?

Augusta, GA -

David T. Lashgari

David T. Lashgari

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Marietta, GA

Businesses have a duty of care to maintain their premises in a safely and hazard free manner at all times. As you were on their premises, you may have a very viable claim. However, you'll want to consult with a slip and fall attorney to pursue.

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Bankruptcy Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Anyone can sue for anything. The question is do you have a valid claim. A store has a duty to maintain the floor and warn of hazards, but if you are running in the door and fall it may be all your fault, and they may have been taking appropriate measures to clean the area. Details are important. You did not tell us what damages you suffered, and that is another requirement. If you fell and were injured, certainly the management of the store would have been informed and attended to you to some extent. If you got up and walked out, have no injuries at all, and just want a check, then the answer is no, you don't have a valid claim.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Don't try to handle the case yourself. Have a personal injury lawyer investigate. The store likes to send a standard letter to everyone that says that they have reviewed the video, and that the store is not liable, so make sure that your lawyer obtains the actual video.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Lisa Morgan Edwards

Lisa Morgan Edwards

Personal Injury Lawyer - Macon, GA

In Georgia if you have equal knowledge of the condition of the floor, your claim will be barred. This includes constructive knowledge that the floor may be wet on a rainy day as other shoppers may have tracked in rainwater. Also if you were running, in a hurry, you will be deemed to have some contributory negligence. If you have major injuried, your clam may be worth pursuing but otherwise you're going to have an uphill battle. It isn't clear if there was actually an employee in the area mopping at the time you fell. If so, the employee had a duty to warn that the floor was still wet.

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Personal Injury Lawyer - East Point, GA

Slip and fall cases are difficult. Beware of any lawyer that implies they are easy. Working against you in Georgia will be your knowledge of the rain and the factyou were running. Possibly helping you will be whether they acted prudently as to trying to prevent a hazard. The extent of your injuries will obviously also matter. Consult a personal injury lawyer in your area who does slip and falls.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Perhaps I'm misreading, but seems you are the cause of this unfortunate incident. Post no more facts. Contact local and quailfied personal injury counsel asap. Do not speak with Walmart.

Randy William Ferguson

Randy William Ferguson

Personal Injury Lawyer - Huntsville, AL

Can you sue, yes. Will you win, who knows. It is hard to win rain cases. Talk to a local injury attorney. Signs propably would not have made a difference just inside store.

David Thomas Dorer

David Thomas Dorer

Personal Injury Lawyer - Macon, GA

I disagree with a lot of these attorneys and think you should find someone with serious personal injury or premises liability experience.

Under the statutory law, owners and occupiers of land have a duty to keep the approaches and walkways to stores and businesses "safe." The Georgia Supreme Court has said that this does not mean an owner of a store or business is "an insurer of the safety of all its [customers]." Rather, Walmart would only be liable for your slip and fall if 1) Walmart had "superior knowledge" of the condition which caused your fall, and you were taking care not to injure yourself.

Part 1 is why you need a lawyer. Generally, Walmart will deny any slip and fall claim unless you file suit. Proving "superior knowledge" of Walmart is a difficult and technical task that has been defined by many technical cases following Robinson v Kroger from the Georgia Supreme Court. You'll need an expert to really prove your case and keep the courts from throwing it out.

You're right, and the other lawyers here are right as well, to be concerned about you running into the store because of the rain. That may be considered "negligent" which hurts part two above an could deny your claim all together. Again, a reason why you need a lawyer who knows personal injury law very well. Georgia's negligence standard is to act reasonably and prudently under the circumstances. It's a jury question whether it is reasonable and prudent to run in from the rain to a store. It most certainly seems like a foreseeable action by a customer. These arguments are what made a recent Kroger slip and fall in Gwinnett a prevailing one.

Like I said, you need an attorney that really understands negligence and premises liability right away. Both are specialties of mine.

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Medical Malpractice Attorney

Yes, although there may a per centage of neglect on your part.
Please retain a lawyer.

Timothy Leo Bowden

Timothy Leo Bowden

Personal Injury Lawyer - Goodlettsville, TN

Possibly so. it will depend on many factors and you would need to discuss those factors with a local injury attorney who is a member of avvo

Related Advice