Can you sue someone that had you falsely arrested and if so is there a statue of limitation on that? I live in Nassau county

Valley Stream, NY |
Filed under: Civil rights

My husband had me arrested for menacing. I had to spend a night in jail. I was removed from my job because of this situation. There was a video of the incident that showed I did not commit the crime. An order of protection was issued stating I had to stay away from my husband as well as our children. I took an acd because I was advised by my lawyer but I did not know the order of protection would remain in effect for six months.
Please advise,

Its a hard case. First, you would have to show that your husband did more than just report you to the police -- that he esentially made the police to arrest you. Second, why would you want to sue your husband? The statute of limitations is 1 year from the date of the incident. I don't think many lawyers would take your case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I did nit say I wasgoingto sue my husband, I asked if a person could be sued.

I wanted to sue my lawyer for poor representation. After looking at the evidence, he should not have advised me to take an ACD.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights