Skip to main content

Can you sue someone on a forum who is trolling and or harassing you?

Pittsburgh, PA |

If your being bullied within a forum , and have requested support from that websites admits / moderators and have run into a dead end what are your legal rights . Your next plausible step would be to block that user from doing any more harm , but what if that does not work . ( I understand set user is just a normal on line bully - but when is it necessary to take this to a legal level ) Wouldn't it be considered defamation of character if they are directly trolling a topic and or comment left withing a forum if it drags on . ( what if you are very serious about having this person stopped legally or at least have their account disabled and or deleted ) What are your legal rights on an on line forum , and what can be done to stop this on line bully ?

True this sounds like just an average bully and you should just get over it and block them, but when your faced with the end result that just is does not satisfy you then what would be the next step? Among being harassed and trolled on set forum this set user is also slandering your user name online...(what can legally be down to stop this) If this user is located in Europe do they have immunity to what has transpired online?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you really want to sue them, it can be done no matter where they live. It is just a matter of coming up with the retainer. We handle multijurisdictional lawsuits all the time, for example we nailed a defendant in Egypt for similar activities through the federal court.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.

  2. Mr. Levy is right about a law suit, but that is an expensive proposition.

    You might consider having an attorney write to the offending web site. The host may take more notice from a lawyer than a visitor, and it would only cost you a few hundred and not many thousands like a law suit.
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

  3. Hire a letter to send a cease and desist letter.

  4. "Harass" and "bully" and "defamation" are legal conclusions. It's impossible to say what your options are without more information, including what was said, who said it, where the individual is located, or if you even know the individual, and what forum it was said on. I recommend you call an attorney in your state to schedule a consultation, and provide copes of the offending posts, so the attorney can give you advice based on all the facts, while being able to ask you questions. Good luck!

    To schedule a consultation, call my office at 407-965-5519. I am licensed to practice in Florida only. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given after learning all circumstances and conducting a comprehensive examination, including being able to ask questions, and cannot be given just from reading one question on an Q&A board such as this.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics