Can you sue someone on a forum who is trolling and or harassing you?

If your being bullied within a forum , and have requested support from that websites admits / moderators and have run into a dead end what are your legal rights . Your next plausible step would be to block that user from doing any more harm , but what if that does not work . ( I understand set user is just a normal on line bully - but when is it necessary to take this to a legal level ) Wouldn't it be considered defamation of character if they are directly trolling a topic and or comment left withing a forum if it drags on . ( what if you are very serious about having this person stopped legally or at least have their account disabled and or deleted ) What are your legal rights on an on line forum , and what can be done to stop this on line bully ?

Pittsburgh, PA -

Jonathan H Levy

Jonathan H Levy

Internet Lawyer - Washington, DC

If you really want to sue them, it can be done no matter where they live. It is just a matter of coming up with the retainer. We handle multijurisdictional lawsuits all the time, for example we nailed a defendant in Egypt for similar activities through the federal court.

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Internet Lawyer - Akron, OH

Mr. Levy is right about a law suit, but that is an expensive proposition.

You might consider having an attorney write to the offending web site. The host may take more notice from a lawyer than a visitor, and it would only cost you a few hundred and not many thousands like a law suit.
__________________
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

Cynthia Ariel Conlin

Cynthia Ariel Conlin

Internet Lawyer - Orlando, FL

"Harass" and "bully" and "defamation" are legal conclusions. It's impossible to say what your options are without more information, including what was said, who said it, where the individual is located, or if you even know the individual, and what forum it was said on. I recommend you call an attorney in your state to schedule a consultation, and provide copes of the offending posts, so the attorney can give you advice based on all the facts, while being able to ask you questions. Good luck!

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

Hire a letter to send a cease and desist letter.