Can you sue someone on a forum who is trolling and or harassing you?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

If your being bullied within a forum , and have requested support from that websites admits / moderators and have run into a dead end what are your legal rights . Your next plausible step would be to block that user from doing any more harm , but what if that does not work . ( I understand set user is just a normal on line bully - but when is it necessary to take this to a legal level ) Wouldn't it be considered defamation of character if they are directly trolling a topic and or comment left withing a forum if it drags on . ( what if you are very serious about having this person stopped legally or at least have their account disabled and or deleted ) What are your legal rights on an on line forum , and what can be done to stop this on line bully ?

True this sounds like just an average bully and you should just get over it and block them, but when your faced with the end result that just is does not satisfy you then what would be the next step?

Among being harassed and trolled on set forum this set user is also slandering your user name online...(what can legally be down to stop this)

If this user is located in Europe do they have immunity to what has transpired online?

1. Jonathan H Levy

2

1

Answered . If you really want to sue them, it can be done no matter where they live. It is just a matter of coming up with the retainer. We handle multijurisdictional lawsuits all the time, for example we nailed a defendant in Egypt for similar activities through the federal court.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

2

1

Answered . Mr. Levy is right about a law suit, but that is an expensive proposition.

You might consider having an attorney write to the offending web site. The host may take more notice from a lawyer than a visitor, and it would only cost you a few hundred and not many thousands like a law suit.
    __________________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

3. Cynthia Ariel Conlin

1

Answered . "Harass" and "bully" and "defamation" are legal conclusions. It's impossible to say what your options are without more information, including what was said, who said it, where the individual is located, or if you even know the individual, and what forum it was said on. I recommend you call an attorney in your state to schedule a consultation, and provide copes of the offending posts, so the attorney can give you advice based on all the facts, while being able to ask you questions. Good luck!

4. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . Hire a letter to send a cease and desist letter.