Skip to main content

Can you sue someone in small claims court if they moved to another state?

Fairbanks, AK |

I was previously living in Alaska, and got orders to deploy to Iraq. I did not have a place to store my vehicle so I allowed a close friend of mine to use the vehicle in exchange for storing it at her house and agreeing that she would keep insurance on it. After 5 months she moved to Hawaii and gave the car to a friend of hers. Long story short, I just found out that he was pulled over in the car with no insurance and the car was impounded. The car has since been sold by the towing company to pay for storage fees 3 months ago and I just found out. If I take her to court, I know she will not show up because she's in Hawaii but I'm afraid that even if I win I will never see the money because she is in another state. What should I do?

Attorney Answers 1


Being able to collect is a primary consideration that you are wise to consider. You may sue in small claims court but it would be expensive even if you do win (not a sure thing) to get Hawaii courts involved and then collect.

You need a lot more details, though, so check with a local lawyer. You should be coordinating with one right away.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful