Can you sue someone for domestic violence and verbal abuse?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

h

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

1

Answered . It depends on what you meant by "domestic violence." Generally speaking, the impact rule would apply to any situations where you were physically injured, etc. as the result of the unauthorized touching/impact. Verbal abuse would be harder to recover for, I believe but it would certainly be relevant to the suit. If you been have been injured make sure to call a reputable personal injury attorney. Good luck.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, you can sue for domestic violence. It depends upon the facts of your case, and your facts might fall into a repeat violence situation that is actionable. Domestic violence means that there has been actual physical abuse.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  3. Melissa Moore Stockham

3

Answered . You can definitely file for injunction for protection against this individual. In fact, if this has happened a while back (meaning, days ago) I would encourage you to pursue any instincts to file an injunction immediately since time generally becomes of the essence in matters of that concern. You can, theoretically, pursue damages in a battery suit (although my instinct is to suggest that any tort based upon an allegation of verbal abuse may not be sustainable unless it rises to the level of "intentional infliction of emotional distress", which is an intentional tort. I think there are two different issues here, one being the domestic matter of the injunction, and the other being whether there is enough under tort law to sustain for damages. I would, if you are seeking monetary reparations for what happened, contact a personal injury lawyer in your area. Good luck!

4. Joseph Gufford III

Pro

1

Answered . Verbal abuse covers a wide range of issues. Generally speaking, you cannot sue someone for calling you names or generally acting in an obnoxious manner. However, when the verbal abuse rises to a level that would put a normal person in fear that they are about to become a victim of domestic violence, i.e. threats to hurt you or your family or even your pet, that can rise to the level of justifying a domestic violence injunction. Call Joesph Gufford, attorney in Stuart for a complete analysis of your situation.