Skip to main content

Can you sue someone civilly exclusively if they are in corporation ?

Boca Raton, FL |

On job sexual harassment by a boss

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your question is unclear. Are you asking if you can sue your boss in his individual capacity? Contact an attorney in your area to discuss your potential claim.

    Any answer(s), and/or comment(s) provided are not legal advice, should not be relied on in lieu of consulting with an attorney, nor are they intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Those readers and / or posters who believe that they may have legal claim(s) should seek the advice of an attorney who is licensed to practice in the relevant jurisdiction.

  2. Claims are either criminal or civil. Only a district attorney or similar agent of the state or federal government can bring criminal claims. If you have been sexually harassed you can bring a civil claim for damages against the specific employee or agent of the corporation and against the corporation itself. Please speak with a local litigator that specializes in harassment claims. Good luck.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Oftentimes you can, especially for battery. Example of a jury instruction:

    In this case the plaintiff (name) claims that the defendant (name) assaulted (him/her) causing injury. The plaintiff wants payment from the defendant for this injury.

    In order for the plaintiff to win on this claim, you must decide that it is more likely true than not that the following happened:

    1. An act of the defendant resulted in a harmful or disagreeable touching of the plaintiff;

    2. The defendant acted with the intent to touch the plaintiff in a harmful or disagreeable way;

    3. The plaintiff did not (consent) (cause the defendant to reasonably believe the plaintiff consented) to the acts of the defendant and their likely consequences.]

    [I will now explain more fully some of the terms I have just used. (Insert Instruction 12.03A, B, C as appropriate.)]

    If you decide it is more likely true than not true that both of these events happened, you have decided the defendant improperly touched the plaintiff [and you must next decide whether the law gives the defendant a defense. I will tell you about possible defenses in a moment.] Unless you decide it is more likely true than not true that both these happened, you must return a verdict for the defendant.

    Of course, a defense would be that you consented to the touching.

    I hope this information proves helpful to you.

    Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you, the consumer, some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Please consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. Again, this is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to

  4. Generally, you can sue anyone individually for their actions that cause harm to you. Typically, if a person is an employee of a company and does something that would render them liable to another person while they were acting within the scope of their employment, the company is usually joined as a defendant under the legal doctrine of respondeat superior since the employer, to some extent, has the ability to control its employees on the job (this is usually done since the company has the deep pockets and would be more likely to be able to satisfy a judgment). Who you sue usually depends on the circumstances and the litigation strategy. Talk to an attorney who specializes in this area to figure out your best course of action.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics