Can you sue someone after two years?

Asked over 1 year ago - Yeadon, PA

My boyfriend was drinking and driving one night. He wasn't driving his own car it was a friends who was sitting in the passenger's seat also drunk. He was so drunk he couldn't see and hits someone on a motorcycle. He paid all of the fine off, but can he still get sued after so long?

1. Jake Aryeh Marcus

9

1

Answered . The statute of limitations for torts in PA is two years. Are you sure it has been two full years? Also it is a bit surprising under these circumstances that he would only have had a fine.

2. Michael Douglas Shafer

10

1

Answered . 2 years in PA.

3. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

8

1

Answered . Generally, the statute of limitations in Pennsylvania is two years, meaning no lawsuit after that time has passed. There are some exceptions. See my legal guide on exceptions to the statute of limitation in Pennsylvania

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-are-s...

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

E-Mail: lawsuit@subrolaw.us

4. Darren Drake

Pro

8

1

Answered . It appears there will be two or more grounds for a civil lawsuit regarding the accident. Each ground will have its own statute of limitations. First, there is a personal injury lawsuit potential. Second there is a property damage lawsuit potential. Each state has its own statute of limitations for different types of cases. A party will have to file their lawsuit within that time limitation in order for it to go forward and be heard in court. The location in which the accident occurred would assist you in determining if there is still a potential for him to be sued regarding the accident. Although you posted from Pennsylvania, you did not indicate in which state the accident occurred.

This is general legal information and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

5. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

8

1

Answered . Two yearStatute of Limitations.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  6. Robert C. Keller

6

1

Answered . The civil statute of limitation is generally two years from the date of the event.

7. Sean P. Wickens

Pro

7

1

Answered . Claims like these are governed by statutes of limitations. Consult with an attorney in the area where the accident occurred to find out the applicable statute of limitations for your boyfriend's case.