Can you sue some one if they post negative and false statements on facebook which will negatively affect you?

Asked about 2 years ago - Butler, PA

Our son was subcontracting for a landscaple company. He has his boss had a difference of opinions and they owner of the landscaping company posted a message on his facebook which were false. Including a statement that stated, "you should be in jail, accusing him of stealing etc. What can you do to correct the situation and make his post apologize, remove his statement and pay for the negative effects that it has caused our son,?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should be able to click the "report abuse" tab on FB. Obviously, defamation lawsuits are expensive, and unless there is a significant monetary loss, you may end up paying a lawyer thousands more than you may recover.

    The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

    Only 29% fee deducted.

    Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755
  2. Gladys E. Wiles

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry to hear that this is happening. I would suggest you read the following articles we have posted on this issue, as online defamation is becoming a growing problem.

    Here are the links to both articles:

    Best of luck!

    Gladys Wiles

    The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your son should start by notifying Facebook. Defamation lawsuits usually require retainers, with no guaranty of success, so he should just concentrate on getting the comments removed.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,930 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,930 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering