Skip to main content

Can you sue in a Small Claims Court in Texas for Libel or Slander?

Fort Worth, TX |

A person and company I was dealing with on personal business made false statements via email to my employer after I refused to do business with them.

Attorney Answers 2


I would say no. Small claims courts deal with actual monetary issues; someone suing for a specific damages up to a certain dollar figure. Your case would invoke a lawsuit seeking equitable damages. Your going to need an attorney to review your case and determine if you have a viable lawsuit. If you do it will almost certainly have to be filed in circuit, or superior court.

Mark as helpful


Small claims court is when damages don't exceed 10k, but amount varies by state.

Click on the picture to see information on the lawyer answering your question. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics