Can you sue for Internet harassment and defamation of character

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My boyfriend for over 20 years is being harassed by a former friend who grew more feelings for him then was there. She became pregnant while on a vacation with friends which he was not there, came back and
started telling everyone that she's
having his baby. she posted pictures of him and her together from the past with captions this is the daddys baby. she wrote on my Facebook wall that he is the father. It is now 5 months later and she is still posting his pictures along with accusations on Facebook making everything public not private on her page. is there anything we can do this is getting very frustrating and very stressful.....

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Report the abuse to FB. Have a local lawyer send a cease and desist letter.

  2. Stephen Patrick Rapp


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Consider consulting with an attorney in your location.

  3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your boyfriend should retain an attorney to send her a Cease and Desist letter. If that fails, he could consider a defamation suit but if she has limited economic resources, nothing would be achieved as there would be nothing to collect against and such lawsuits are expensive to prosecute. There is one thing that he can do after the baby is born but only if, and I mean ONLY IF there can be absolutely no chance - not even a remote one- that he can be the father. Insist on a paternity test and when it comes back negative, she will be exposed for the liar she is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,655 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,655 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering