Can you sue for defamation if expunged info was given out?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Canton, OH

My son had an expungement done and the info was taken off at our clerk of courts. He just got a job and went to get an apartment and when they ran the background check it showed up. What can we do about this? He has to relocate and start his new job on the 17th of this month.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Nicholas George Gounaris


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Usually nothing can be done.

    Most background checks are done through businesses that subscribe to database services. Those databases are updated at the pleasure of the company. That means that unless the company doing the background check updates its records your sons conviction will always appear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,332 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,332 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering