Skip to main content

Can you sue a step parent for verbal and emotional abuse?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Child abuse

My son is 12 and has been diagnosed with ADHD and my daughter is 10. Their step mother verbally and emotionally abuses my son on a daily basis but does not treat my daughter the same way. This has been going on for years. She calls him names, sends him to his room when his dad is not home, ignores him and refuses to talk to him, she tells him he is a waste, she makes food he will not eat for dinner, knowing he does not like it and then tells him if he will not eat it then he doesn't need to eat. She talks about him to other kids' parents, telling them how stupid he is. She works at the juvenille detention facility and she treats him like he is a criminal. What are my opitons to legally stop this behavior? What steps do I need to take to be able to take legal action and have a case?

Attorney Answers 1


The wicked stepmother obviously has problems dealing with an ADHD child. You should speak to your ex about how his son is being mistreated and see what he is willing to do to protect his son.

If he is not willing to do anything, you should consider filing for sole physical custody to protect him from maltreatment.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 comment



I'm curious about this. I'm in the same situation and I'm told you can't prove verbal abuse and the child can not testify in court.

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics