Can you sue a social media site for not giving you an invitation increase?

Tampa, FL |

If someone has more connections than you and they refuse to give you an invitation increase?

You can politely request that a site honor their terms of service. Without a more explicit contract, it would be difficult to sue. The matter is one that would tempt a judge to disallow the suit. I suppose, with enough money, you could hire an attorney to craft a sufficiently detailed complaint that the court would consider it. But, did you execute a contract?

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

I assume the one I agreed to when signing up to the site.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

It could be. Have you asked for your money back? If no money was involved, more likely you just clicked on a Terms of Service. Check what Atty Pollard suggested, that is, see if the terms of service allow them to make such a unilateral decision.

Not likely. Even if such is provided for in the terms of use, those terms probably allow the website to change the terms unilaterally and without notice. Such a lawsuit would probably be deemed frivolous.

My response to this question is a response to a hypothetical situation based on limited facts. I am not your attorney; you are not my client and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. If you need a lawyer, you should contact one in your area. If you would like to talk with me about your case, you can call my office.

Look at their Terms of Service. Therein lies your answer. It is not anything for which you would have a claim, unless other facts dictate.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.

No. Especially since nearly all of them are free services. You're choosing voluntarily to use their services, under their terms.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.

No. You have no right to use the social networking site, and it has obligation to increase the number of connections that it gives you. Social networking sites generally have terms of use that define your rights and their obligations to you---and I am confident that the terms of use provide that you have no right to require them to give you more connections.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business