Skip to main content

Can you sue a school if a teacher has admitted hitting the child?

Oxford, MI |

My son was assaulted by his teacher not once but twice because he didn't have his eyes on the board, not for misbehaving. The principal says they diciplined the teacher but she did not even spend one day suspended. I have addressed the issue with the school board as well. Now the principal is bullying my son, and has accused him of fighting, which adults who were present said no fight occurred. The principal refused to talked to the noon aides to clear my sons name and has said the punishment stands. He is refusing to allow him to attend 5th grade activities.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Take it up with the school board OR city council.
If you don't like what's going on then SUE the teacher
PLUS the school board.



Public school or private? If this is a private school, your rights and options are substantially narrower than if it is a public school. If this is a public school, you will inevitably need legal counsel to sue successfully.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer