Can you sue a school for accusations for violating alcohol regulations without evidence?

21740 |

A dean stated the students were guilty because usually students with slushy drinks is drinking alcohol. The incident report verified no alcohol was found, even by state police. Charges were put in student records. An appeal was filed and denied a hearing. The students asked for reason why appeal was denied in writing the dean responded, "you don't need it".

Quite possibly, yes. You might have either a contract claim or a tort claim. I cannot say which you have, if any, because I am not your attorney and I do not have all the information about your case.

You probably have a contract with your school: you agree to pay tuition, and they agree to educate you. I'd imagine that the school sets up the contract in such a way that you also agree to subject yourself to the school's rules and disciplinary systems. By operation of law, most contracts impose a duty of "good faith and fair dealing." If the school knows that you were in class on a given day but disciplines you for being absent on that day, then they would likely be in violation of the duty of good faith in applying their disciplinary systems. So too, it is conceivable that IF the school knew that there was no alcohol in your case, then they may well be breaching the duty of good faith when disciplining you for consuming alcohol.

You also might have a tort claim for libel or slander for communicating false and damaging information about you.

Of course, all of this depends on how your state defines and applies these legal doctrines, so you may want to consult an attorney in your area.

You may also want to consider picking and choosing your battles.

In some circumstances you could sue, but it would be a waste of time. You would lose, and even in the anomalous circumstance where you didn't lose, you wouldn't win enough to cover the costs and fees for the suit. Or did you think that some attorney should do this work for free?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.