Can you sue a furniture lease company for brining a bedbug infested mattress into your home

Ringgold, GA |

Three weeks ago we leased to purchased a twin size mattress from Aaron's rental co and with it came an infestation of bed bugs. We have bites all over us and the exterminator has advised 400.00 to treat and we have to remove all mattresses and our couch along with clothing that can not be heated to 120 degrees along with all bedding. Also I have a fourteen year old daughter on chemo with a low immune system and Aaron's will not return calls or speak to us. Can we sue for restitution for damage to belongings? We have pictures of the bedbugs coming from the mattress.

1. Absolutely! Call a personal injury attorney.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

2. Yes, you can sue and you might have a case. Your problem is going to come when you have to actually prove that it was the mattress that had the bugs and that Aarons knew or should have known that the mattress had the bugs. You'll also have to prove that your home did not have bugs prior to the delivery of the bed and that the bugs did not come from another source. Simply telling the court that its not your fault and you didn't have bugs before you got the bed is insufficient. You'll need proof. You may have to subpoena the exterminator. Litigation could get costly; I recommend you file in Magistrate Court to keep the costs down.

3. Yes. If the damage is less than $15, 000 you can consider suing I'm Magistrate Court, commonly referred to as Small Claims. If the damages exceed $15k consult a personal injury attorney. Sorry this happened. Best of luck

For more information, contact us at Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

4. You should sue them in small claims court. Try to stengthen your causation, proving no bed bugs before transport and in the new place before the bugs showed up.

5. Yes, if your lease does not precluded you from doing so with an arbitration clause or similar AND if you can prove you did not already have bedbugs, You will need a lawyer to put the proper evidence and investigation together for you and review your lease agreement.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.

6. Yes, if your lease does not precluded you from doing so with an arbitration clause or similar AND if you can prove you did not already have bedbugs, You will need a lawyer to put the proper evidence and investigation together for you and review your lease agreement.