Can you substitute funding an A/B trust with a new revocable trust?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

Parents had an A/B trust; mom passed and dad, according to terms of mandatory trust decided not to split, thereby ignoring creation of a B (bypass) trust where 1/2 is irrevocable for mom, while dad has the other half revocable. It was detected that dad made a new revocable trust. A son has a trust with same name as parents, e.g., Jones Family Trust. A trust transfer grant deed was performed transferring dad's properties into son's property/s as well. Is this a breach, and what happens now?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jennifer L King

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If under the trust the funding of the B trust was mandatory, then yes, not funding it would be considered a breach of fiduciary duty unless everyone interested in the trust agreed otherwise (which could have some tax implications). Your father can, of course, start a new trust, but he (or his estate) would be liable for not placing mother's interest in the prior trust into the B trust.

    It is, of course, extremely difficult to bring an action against one's parent, which would be the course of action if your father does not respond well to a request for him to go back and make this right.

    Do you think that your brother is improperly influencing your father to gift him property? Does your father lack cognitive capacity? Is he easily influenced? If so, this could be a matter for an elder law attorney.

    As these comments often do, I'll end by saying that a consultation with an experienced trust an estate attorney is merited. How to respond to these types of issues requires not only careful legal analysis, but also a discussion of the impact on your relationship with your father.

  2. Robert E. Millsap III

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think you should take the Trust to an attorney. If the terms where that Mom's share were to go into a Bypass trust, then they should have as other counsel have said here. An attorney will have to review it though to make sure it was mandatory and no by disclaimer or voluntary. Also, the trust may have been amended without your knowing it.

    At a minimum, I think it is worth your while to sit down with an attorney and review the Trust language and what Mom's estate consisted of. Good luck.

  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some A/B trusts are very hard to read and administer.
    I would hire an attorney to form an opinion of the correct transfer
    of assets upon the first death and write a letter
    to your Dad if it wasn't done correctly and give him a chance to correct.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.


A trust is an estate planning tool in which you allow a third party (called a trustee) to hold your assets on behalf of your beneficiaries. Several types exist.

Sharon Melissa Siegel

What is a Trust?

A trust is a legal document. All trusts must be written on paper. There are many categories of trust. A "testamentary trust" is a trust that is established under a will and only comes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,850 answers this week

3,651 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,850 answers this week

3,651 attorneys answering