Skip to main content

Can you still sue a doctor that happened in October 2009 for a knee surgery that was done?

Three Rivers, MI |

My husband had knee surgery.It has not been right ever since.He just had a knee replacement in December of last year.2013.The area that was worked on from the doctor before it still is not right....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The Statute of Limitation in Michigan is two years from incident or 6 months after discovering the malpractice. It sounds like the knee hasn't been right since 09 so my initial thought is no but I would consult an attorney with all the facts.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at



Thank You.I have one coming to the house next Tuesday...


knowing how complicated medical malpractice cases are, I would get all the medical records and take them to attorney for a full review. There maybe exceptions to toll the statute of limitations



Thank You I will do that...


There is a discovery rule exception to the statute of limitations, thus, it rests on when it was discovered, and you would want to call a local med mal lawyer to discuss the timeline.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755



Thank You...Lawyer is coming next Tuesday...


If the malpractice took place in Michigan, you generally have two years from the date of the wrongdoing to commence a claim. There are a few narrow exceptions to this rule. For example, if there is no way you could have known you had a potential claim or if the doctor intentionally concealed important information from you. If your husband had a legal disability - in other words, unable to understand for himself that he could have a potential claim - you might have more time to pursue a claim. As you can see, Michigan medical malpractice law is very complicated and I would encourage you to speak to an attorney about this issue.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer