Can you still receive a ticket after a car accident?

Chicago, IL |

It was my fault and I accidently side swiped a car. The only damages were black scratches to the vehicle due to my side view mirror. I don't have insurance and we waited for the police but they never arrived. We ended up going to the police station but I never gave a statement.

I did talk to the lady afterwards and she said she would get an estimate on how much the damages are. I did just update my insurance now but it's after the fact. Please help. Thank you in advance.

It is possible, but unlikely. In property damage cases, most police avoid giving tickets as it is just more hassle for them. Obviously, since you didn't have coverage at the time, your best bet is to have the lady get 2 estimates and if they look fair, offer to pay the lower of them. If she won't accept, try to work out some deal in between the 2. Otherwise, there are not many options except waiting to get sued by her or her carrier and cutting a deal then, which could risk your driver's license under the Safety and Financial Responsibility Law.

Best option is to contact her asking for estimates.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

2. Not very likely.

3. I agree with Mr. Hoffman, getting a ticket is unlikely. Depending on the cost of the repairs, you may consider hiring a lawyer to document the settlement. If the cost of repairs are very minor, you may be willing to bear the risk of not having a lawyer draft the settlement agreement and release.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

4. Unlikely, but if you get one, you can retain a local traffic court lawyer to fight it

5. Technically in Texas you can still get a ticket after the accident but probably not likely to happen. However, I have had two different clients who had tickets mailed to them from different jurisdictions for accidents that occurred months earlier.