Can you still get a work comp settlement if you have been convicted of a felony?

Merced, CA |

I was told by word of mouth not a legal expert that if you are under work comp,and you recently have been convicted of a felony that you can't get work comp or settle your case. and i have no clue if that is correct or not.So i'm hoping for the right answer.If you could please respond and let me know. thank you for your assistance.

1. If you are convicted of WC Fraud, your recovery for the fraudulent claim may be barred. If you injured COMMITTING a Felony and get convicted, your injury/recovery is barred. If you are injured, and get convicted of statutory rape/vehicular manslaughter in an unrelated injury, you may be precluded from TTD because you are legally unable to work while in Prison, but your PD would probably be available at release. I recommend reading Chris Ball's book for a good WC overview, instead of listening to random drunks in a pool hall.
    http://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Workers-Compensation-Claim/dp/0873373936

We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

2. Read Mr. Corson's very good answer. If none of that applies and you just happen to have a prior Felony conviction unrelated to a recent work injury, it will have no bearing on your case except that the fact of the conviction may be used at any Hearing to attack your credibility.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

3. The felony will not stop you from having a valid WC case unless the injury was as a result of the felony. It may also affect your credibility. Your friend is wrong.