Can you reverse a legal name change for a child?

Scottsdale, AZ |

Several years ago I allowed the legal last name change of my child to her mother's name. The mother never followed up, did not notify the SS office, etc. Since the mother remarried, child no longer shares her last name and I would like it changed back to mine.

You can only change you child's last name with the consent of her mother. The court does not consider another change 'going back' to the first. It considers the change an independent action with all the requirements of the original name change.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

2. If the mother agrees and truly nothing was done you can might be able to get an order by stipulating to modify to decree or final order. Otherwise, you have to petition and show why it would be in the best interest of the child to now have your last name.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS INTENDED AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE RELIED UPON AS SUCH, AND IS NOT INTENDED TO ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL QUESTION, CONSULT WITH AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY.