Can you request more license suspension time to qualify for an Occupational License?

Asked 5 months ago - Wilkes Barre, PA

Got charged with a DUI and a Refusal that after my ARD will result in about 14 months of license suspension. It says that in order to qualify for an occupational license (so I can drive to school and work) the sentencing must be 18 months or greater. Can my lawyer request more time for my ARD suspension (2 months) so that I fall in that gap?

Additional information

I also just read that one of the exceptions is if it a one year suspension for first time and can be done after 60 days of surrendering my license. Can they issue an Occupational License for any range of months I might be suspended after the initial 60 days ? Or should I apply for an OLL before my appeal date for refusal ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James W. Zerillo


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Interesting idea but even it were possible to convince PennDOT to add months to a refusal suspension to bring it up to 18 you wouldn't be eligible for an OLL until 12 months had been served on the refusal AND have to install guardian interlock on owned vehicles.Add that your ARD suspension and you still have 14 months plus interlock.

    This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only.For further... more
  2. Michelle A. Fioravanti

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . No, it's against statute so it can't be done.

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and your right to drive

You may have your right to drive taken away if you are convicted of DUI.

Travis T. Schreurs

OWI and your Driver's License

An OWI in Wisconsin involves both in-court and out-of-court consequences. In most cases, the license suspension procedure can be completed before you even make an appearance in court.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,151 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,151 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering