CAN YOU REQUEST A PUBLIC DEFENDER AFTER YOUR ARRAIGNMENT?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lexington, KY

18 YEAR OLD TOLD JUDGE HE DIDN'T NEED A COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY . CAN HE CHANGE HIS MIND? IF HE CAN HOW DOES HE GO ABOUT GETTING ONE

1. David Brent Cox

Pro

2

Answered . Yes he can still request the appointment of the Department of Public Advocacy to represent him. I would suggest that he first contact the pretrial services officer to fill out an affidavit of indigency. When he next appears before the court, he can request the judge to appoint him a public defender. Good luck.

2. Frank Mascagni III

1

Answered . Yes. Have the defendant request the appointment of counsel at the next court appearance.

3. Anna M. Aleksander

Pro

Answered . By answering questions in this forum, Attorney Anna Aleksander does not undertake to represent you in your legal matter, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Answers are provided for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as advise of counsel. Speak with a lawyer directly to determine the best course of action for you and your case.

Yes.