CAN YOU REQUEST A PUBLIC DEFENDER AFTER YOUR ARRAIGNMENT?

Lexington, KY |

18 YEAR OLD TOLD JUDGE HE DIDN'T NEED A COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY . CAN HE CHANGE HIS MIND? IF HE CAN HOW DOES HE GO ABOUT GETTING ONE

Yes he can still request the appointment of the Department of Public Advocacy to represent him. I would suggest that he first contact the pretrial services officer to fill out an affidavit of indigency. When he next appears before the court, he can request the judge to appoint him a public defender. Good luck.

The answer provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for retaining an attorney who can investigate and analyze all the material facts of your situation.

Yes. Have the defendant request the appointment of counsel at the next court appearance.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

By answering questions in this forum, Attorney Anna Aleksander does not undertake to represent you in your legal matter, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Answers are provided for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as advise of counsel. Speak with a lawyer directly to determine the best course of action for you and your case.

Yes.

Civil rights topics