Can you represent yourself other than a criminal or traffic case…

Saint Charles, MO |

I was just wondering this because I have tried to represent myself in the past but for some reason, I am having trouble with the library having the right forms for petitioning the court or they are difficult to find.

Representing yourself is not the best police especially when you struggle to learn the process as you go along, try to locate the right forms and, quite honestly, grapple with your next legal step. Hence, you may be doing a disservice to your case by potentially making mistakes that would be hard to remedy even for a licensed attorney. Please at the very least, speak with an attorney regarding your case.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

The question should be more in the nature of "should I represent myself." I have seen many individuals choose to do this and it never works out well. Even the best attorneys in the world would have someone else represent them if they faced charges. They often say that one who represents themselves has a fool for a client.

Michael L. Doyle

Never seen it work yet, but it certainly is your right. There are thousands of forms, but hundreds of thousands of actions for which no form has been created. You list a great many topics as to your posting. If it is a criminal matter, it is your life and freedom you are experimenting with.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

I agree with the other attorneys. When you represent yourself, the Court assumes you have the same knowledge as an attorney. You are cut no slack by the judge on procedures, objections, forms, etc. Many basic forms (such as plea forms, bond forms, etc) are available at the courthouse. More advanced motions are almost always drafted by the attorney, and the attorney is citing to specific cases as they relate to your facts. Without a solid knowledge of the law and available research tools, it is nearly impossible to match the quality of a good attorney. All that said, by far the biggest problem in representing yourself is the bias we all have as humans. It is easy to miss the forest as a result of all the trees, in other words. Even the best attorneys in the country hire outside counsel when they find themselves in trouble. My advice would be to hire a private attorney or fill out an application for the public defender.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody