Can you refuse a fellow employee from signing a group card if they did not contribute to the cost of the gift?

Asked 11 months ago - Dumfries, VA

My husband works for dod and says it is illegal. He has bought a gift for someone who was leaving, everyone signed the card but only half paid him back.

1. L. Maxwell Taylor

2

Answered . I can't imagine the law regulates who may sign a gift card from a private individual. It's not the kind of thing the law regulates. (A Virginia lawyer may enlighten me to the contrary, but I will be surprised.)

2. Susan A. Wuchinich

Answered . The best way around this issue is to collect the money first from others and then buy the gift. A contract must be supported by consideration and it is hard to envision what benefit the others would have derived from contributing to a gift.

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . Honestly, I'd be quite surprised if there was a law even close to this issue. Next time, don't be the one to buy the gift, if it might be a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't make a big deal of who signs, or who doesn't sign. Keep in mind that people who didn't contribute may just be living barely from paycheck to paycheck and might be embarrassed that they can't afford to contribute.

4. Michael Lubing

Answered . It seems unlikely that it's illegal. Technically speaking, it's possible that there is a contract issue here, and he may have some sort of contract claim against employees who agreed to contribute and then refused, but unless it was an outrageously expensive gift card, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that it will be worth the cost.