Can you re-open a closed red-light camera ticket citation?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I was given a red-light camera ticket. I did a trial by declaration because I live in San Francisco and couldn't take time off work, and I couldn't see the light because of glare. I was found guilty and denied traffic school, even though I've never gone to traffic school here. I submitted an appeal so I could appear in person in court, and didn't sign the document (I kept my copy with the signature, by accident) and they closed my case and didn't grant me an appeal. Is there anything I can do to re-open the case, or retroactively take traffic school?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Vijay Dinakar


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your best bet to reopen this case is to file an appeal. It appears the time may have elapsed to file a notice of appeal. Best bet is to consult an attorney to determine if this is what happened. I must say that your defense - that you "couldn't see the light because of glare" - is not a valid defense. Good luck.

  2. Jason Robert Miller

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . yes - hire an attorney to fike a motion to vacate judgment and set a new appearance date. I am local and would be happy to discuss 855-349-2849 is my toll free number

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact... more
  3. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Get an attorney to see if they can get matter on calendar and get you traffic school.

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,078 answers this week

2,775 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,078 answers this week

2,775 attorneys answering