Skip to main content

Can you press charges on a teacher who had sex with a student 15 years ago?

Johnson City, TX |

it was a rumor of a teacher having sex with a student and now 15 years later he was caught. Can a lawyer go after the student who supposedly slept with the teacher 15 years ago?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your headline asks about pressing charges against the teacher. Your text asks about going after the student. What's your agenda here?

Private persons cannot press criminal charges. Criminal charges are brought by the prosecutor for the jurisdiction where the alleged act occurred.

Criminal acts must be charged within the time period authorized by the relevant statute of limitations, but no determination of the relevant time period can be done without knowing all of the facts and all of the potential charges.

If a teacher has been caught having sex with a minor, it is possible that law enforcement would be interested in talking with a victim from 15 years ago. It is difficult to contemplate that anyone else would have a legitimate interest in tracking that student down and posing questions about conduct that occurred when that person was a minor.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer