Can you press charges on a teacher who had sex with a student 15 years ago?

Asked over 1 year ago - Johnson City, TX

it was a rumor of a teacher having sex with a student and now 15 years later he was caught. Can a lawyer go after the student who supposedly slept with the teacher 15 years ago?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Your headline asks about pressing charges against the teacher. Your text asks about going after the student. What's your agenda here?

Private persons cannot press criminal charges. Criminal charges are brought by the prosecutor for the jurisdiction where the alleged act occurred.

Criminal acts must be charged within the time period authorized by the relevant statute of limitations, but no determination of the relevant time period can be done without knowing all of the facts and all of the potential charges.

If a teacher has been caught having sex with a minor, it is possible that law enforcement would be interested in talking with a victim from 15 years ago. It is difficult to contemplate that anyone else would have a legitimate interest in tracking that student down and posing questions about conduct that occurred when that person was a minor.