Can you please explain the process from my court date with a magistrate through arraignment and plea acceptance.

Asked almost 2 years ago - York, PA

My first offense of any kind.. possession of small amounts and paraphernalia.

1. Forest Dean Morgan

1

1

Answered . Get a criminal defense attorney. If you cannot afford to hire a criminal defense attorney, apply for a public defender. Criminal defense is not a do-it-yourself project.

Since possession of marijuana carries a 6 month license suspension, the money you invest in the services of a lawyer will be well worth it if the marijuana charge is dropped (as it often is)

2. Robert C. Keller

Answered . A drug offense can lead to a license suspension along with other serious implications. It is suggested that you immediately sit down with an attorney who can explain the process to you.

3. Theodore H. Swan Jr.

Pro

Answered . First, your question: The preliminary hearing before the Didtrict Judge is followed by a "formal arraignemnt" in the court of common pleas. In some counties, the next step is the trial list. In other counties there is a "pre-trial conference".
    I agree with my colleagues, don't even think of representing yourself for the reasons stated. You need a lawyer to help you with this. You may want to discuss a possible Section 17 with whatever attorney you choose.