Can you pass a moving school bus with yellow flashing lights?

Erie, PA |
Filed under: Traffic tickets

While driving home from work today, I passed a school bus traveling the opposite directions with its flashing yellow lights. The bus was not stopped so I thought it was ok to keep going. As I was passing the bus, it put on its red lights and stop sign. If I would have stopped then, I would have been halfway past the bus. Is that ok in that situation to keep going. The bus driver honked at me, but I didn't think I was in the wrong. Do you think I will receive something in the mail about this?

You may receive a citation in the mail because the flashing yellow lights signal to all drivers that the bus is preparing to stop and you should be stopping as well. I think you could ask a judge to consider the circumstances that you didn't want to be stopped halfway past the bus, but technically you have violated the statute.

If you do receive a citation, make sure to enter a plea of not guilty and attempt to resolve the matter to a lesser charge. Passing a school bus in PA is a possible 5 point violation.

The above is a general answer but should not be considered specific legal advice for your case. If you would like to discuss the particular problem you are facing, please contact Geoffrey Hood, Esquire at (215) 639-4400

Plus a mandatory sixty day suspension of your driving privileges. Promptly consult with an attorney.

No attorney/client relationship is formed between the attorney responding to this question and the individual asking the question.

Both of my colleagues are correct. If you get a citation in the mail, plead NOT GUILTY and ask for a hearing and contact a lawyer who handles this kind of case. Depending on the ticket and violation cited... 3345a is 5 points and 60 day suspension when the red light are flashing. With proper representation, a less charge may be negotiated.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets