Can you parents be considered a lawful authority with regards to a involuntary mental health commitment?

Sacramento, CA |
Filed under: Civil rights

If you parents had you placed in a facility for observation when you were 16 for observation. Would that be considered a commitment by court, board, or other lawful authority?
Or do juveniles have the same commitment rights as an adult would where there needs to be a hearing and testimony?
My parents checked me in for 20 hours when I was 16, and I am curious if that would be considered an involuntary commitment?

No. Parents have the authority to decide the medical treatment for their minor children, including placing their child in a mental health facility for observation. If parents of a minor child agree, being checked into a facility for observation will be considered "voluntary."

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Use of this information by anyone outside of the State of California, shall not be construed to establish that Oleson Law is doing business outside of the State of California.

Sorry, your parents were acting within the confines of the law.

Disclaimer: No attorney client privilege is established by receiving an answer to your question on Avvo. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to visit my Avvo profile or website -- -- to set up an appointment to talk more about your issue. As required by Rule 7.2(e), Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct, no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights