Can you own/run a relaxation/body rub business in ohio without being licensed?

Cuyahoga Falls, OH |

I am curious to know if you have to be certified or licensed to work or own a business that does only body rubs or relaxation massage. Not therapeutic or medical. this is in akron ohio only.

1. No, you wouldn't be able to run such a business without a license.

In Ohio, massage therapy is considered a subset of practicing medicine and requires a license through the State Medical Board. Massage therapy is broadly defined under state law and includes the "manipulation of soft tissue through the systematic external application of massage techniques." I have included a link to the relevant law below. That definition likely covers whatever services you were looking to provide.

Bradley Miller acts as outside general counsel for small business and entrepreneurs. He particularly enjoys setting up new businesses and advising existing ones on contracts and risk management. If you have questions about an answer provided here, you may contact him directly. The answers provided on Avvo are meant as general legal information and are not to be taken as specific legal advice for your situation. No attorney-client relationship is established by the answering of a question on Avvo.

2. This work is licensed according to the law states at Chapter 4731 of the Ohio Revised Code

3. You may not practice massage without a license. Your jurisdiction is one of the states to require a license for the practice of massage. In your jurisdiction, the practice of massage is considered a limited branch of the practice medicine.

Business topics