Can you or you're attorney get in trouble if you begin a sexual relationship?

Cape Coral, FL |

My sister has been sleeping with her family law attorney for about 2 months now. Her modification of time share case has been going on since April. She has a trial date for the 1st wk of Feb. So can either her or her attorney for sleepinf together....he is marries btw

I figured this was some sort of violation. Problem is, my sister thinks she is in love with him...I have been attempting to convince her to cut off their affiar until at least the end of her case but have been unsuccessful. She does not seem to think there are any consequences for this, and I feel like her attorney is taking advantage of her seeinghow she is very vulernable...

1. It is a violation of Florida Bar Rules for an attorney to begin a sexual relationship with a client during the course of that representation. http://www.pappasontaxes.com/index.php/2009/08/21/lawyer-suspended-for-having-consensual-sex-with-client/

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

2. Absolutely prohibited by Fla Bar ethics rules not to mention stupid!

This answer was provided as a courtesy to you and no attempt was made to establish any type of attorney/client relationship.

3. Most likely party to get in trouble in that scenario would be the attorney. One of the things a lawyer learns very clearly in law school is to avoid any such situation where lines can easily be crossed.

The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. For a free consultation, contact Aktas Law, P.A. at 954-332-2412 or at info@aktaslaw.com.

4. It is completely against the Florida Bar rules. Period. The lawyer could get severely disciplined by the bar for this conduct, if it becomes known to the Florida Bar.

5. This is not only a severe violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct, but it's a bad idea too. It is a terrible conflict of interest for an attorney, who has a fiduciary duty, to become romantically and sexually involved with client or interested party. It makes the attorney's job difficult, if not impossible, to manage.

This is a bad situation. Hire a replacement attorney right away, which will result in the current attorney being fired.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

6. Ugh.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.