Skip to main content

Can you move to a different city while out on bond in the same state?

Albany, GA |

Back in April of 2012 i was arrested for 4 counts of theft by taking and i was bonded out of jail by my mom. It is now goin on juy and i still haven't heard anything from a court appointed lawyer or have i gotten a court date. Can i move to a different city in the same state but i will go to court when ever i get a date? this is my first offense by the way.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I suggest complying with your bond requirements (if there is a proviso to notify the court of any change of address, do so without any delay). Also, notify the attorney of your actions and any tentative new address where you should be notified by mail of the status date. Before your move discuss the potential action with your counsel and make sure you will not miss the date.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  2. Unless there is a condition of bond that prohibits you from relocating, yes you can move. However, it is imperative that you keep the court and your bondsman notified of your current address at all times.

  3. Yes, Just be sure to give your bondsman, the court clerk, and your lawyer your new address and contact information. Good luck.

    Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics