Can you lose your green card for pleading guilty to a felony wanted endangerment charge?

Bowling Green, KY |

The charge is a DUI with 2 counts of wanted endangerment for having two minors (age 13/14) in the car while driving intoxicated. He is here on a green card currently through his work and the attorney said he can get it benched for 2 years on a felony diversion charge, however wont it make him lose his green card status because he is pleading guilty and they are just not sentencing him yet?

You need to consult with an immigration lawyer ASAP as to the effect on ICE if he enters a Pretrial Felony Diversion Program in KY. This is a technical area of the law an you need an experienced immigration lawyer's advice.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

I edited your practice section to Immigration so more avvo lawyers that practice in that area my respond to your question.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

You need to explain to the immigration lawyer the law on Felony Pretrial Diversion in the Commonwealth of KY so he can advise you of the consequences. If the program in Bowling Green is similar to the one in Louisville, you will enter a plea of guilty to a felony, be placed on probation for 1-5 years, and if you complete the program the felony charges will be dimissed-diverted. But if you do not, your plea stands and you are a convicted felon.

Do you handle Immigration issues like this? I'm looking for an attorney to assist the local attorney here.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

I do not. You need an immigration lawyer.

Yes, there will likely be immigration consequences to a felony charge. He needs to consult with an experienced immigration attorney ASAP and definitely before agreeing to any sort of plea.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Yes. DO not plead without a consultation with an immigration attorney first. Please heed this advice, you will be later glad you did.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

There are serious immigration consequences to pleading to a felony charge. Consult an immigration attorney before entering a guilty plea to any criminal offense.