Can you licensed to practice law, with an arrest record but no convictions?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

How difficult is it, what obstacles?

Can you *be* licensed. excuse me

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

6

Answered . Yes you can. You will need to disclose all criminal charges to the bar when you apply to be licensed. If you are charged with a crime after you are admitted, then you do not have to do anything until there is a conviction. to be double sure check the biennial application for your law license in NYS.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . Yes.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

Answered . Yes--it's an issue for character and fitness once you pass the bar but it should happen!

4. Mark E Bratlien

4

Answered . Yes. There are criminal convictions you can have and still earn a law degree and be licensed. State Bar examiners look at applications and convictions on a case by case basis.

5. Douglas Holbrook

4

Answered . Yes, it is the convictions that cause problems. And anticipate possible questions regarding the circumstances surrounding the arrests.