Can you licensed to practice law, with an arrest record but no convictions?

Brooklyn, NY |

How difficult is it, what obstacles?

Can you *be* licensed. excuse me

Yes--it's an issue for character and fitness once you pass the bar but it should happen!

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Yes you can. You will need to disclose all criminal charges to the bar when you apply to be licensed. If you are charged with a crime after you are admitted, then you do not have to do anything until there is a conviction. to be double sure check the biennial application for your law license in NYS.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Yes.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Yes. There are criminal convictions you can have and still earn a law degree and be licensed. State Bar examiners look at applications and convictions on a case by case basis.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on Washington law as I am licensed in Washington. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. For more information, you can reach my office at: mark@bratlienlaw.com; 360-714-1911

Yes, it is the convictions that cause problems. And anticipate possible questions regarding the circumstances surrounding the arrests.