Can you legally refuse certified mail?

Asked over 4 years ago - Hollywood, FL

I work for a condominium and the property management team wants to know if we are legally required to sign for a resident's certified mail?

1. Blaise E. Picchi

Answered . I don't think so but you might want to call up the main post office and speak to one of the customer service reps there. Normally, if the carrier doesn't want to go up to the apartment or is too lazy to go up, or if the recipient is not at home, they just put a slip in the box which tells the recipient that the letter is at the post office and they should come pick it up. Then it is up to the recipient otherwise the letter is returned to sender undelivered. Certified mail has become a poor way to send mail these days because the letter carriers would rather put a slip in the box than go upstairs and personally get the letter signed for, which is their job.

The foregoing was offered for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Furthermore, no attorney client relationship has been formed hereby.

If you found the above answer helpful, kindly check the thumbs-up box below.