Can you leave home to live with a friend at 16 without parental consent?

Buford, GA |

I have a friend who is wanting to live with me when she turns 16 but most likely will not get the permission from the parents/ guardians. She would be taken care of and everything but in the eyes of the law would she be forced to go back home?

Your friend needs to be emancipated if she wants to come live with you. You have to be emancipated in order to move out of your parent's house. Once you file for emancipation, a judge will determine whether you are fit to live on your own. The court looks at a variety of factors such as your maturity level, whether you can support yourself financially, that your welfare is better served by not being with your parents, and that there are no other reasonable solutions living at home. Having your friend live with you opens you up to criminal charges, such as kidnapping. So unless your friend is emancipated, it would not be a wise idea.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

2. yes because she is a minor until she is 18 and if you are older you could be charged with contributing to the deliquincy of a minor or worse if you are planning on sexual relations.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship

3. Very bad idea - so forget it.

You could go to prison for kidnapping or interference with custody. The child would either be made to go home or taken into state custody, unless the child was emancipated.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

4. Although 16 is considered the age of consent in Georgia, she is still a minor until she turns 18, so her parents are her guardians and have to consent to where she lives. As the others have told you, without emancipation you are asking from trouble if you interfere with this.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation