Can you just send in a receipt that your judgment has been paid to the credit bureaus without going to dispute it in court?

Oak Brook, IL |
Filed under: Credit score

I had to pay back unemployment and I did and i have a written letter or relase of lien from attorney office. They stated I had to go to court to get it removed, but I want to know if I send the letter of release of lien will the credit burears honor that and remove from my credit report.

No, and the reason is because the credit bureau is relying on the public record of the court judgment and any document outside of the public records will be suspect. Hope this perspective helps!

You say you have a written lien release so you should record that at the county recorders office.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

The credit bureaus will not drop the notation of the final judgment, even if you were to record the release of lien as my colleague suggested. You should record the release anyway, so that the public record is clear that there is no lien, but the credit bureaus' interest is different.

Credit bureaus are not concerned with liens. They care concerned with credit history. The fact that a judgment was entered against you is considered to be a credit worthy event as it shows that someone had to o through the trouble and hassle of suing you in order to get paid. Even if the debt is now paid, the fact remains that someone had to go through the process of legal action and obtainin a judment.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt