Can you just send in a receipt that your judgment has been paid to the credit bureaus without going to dispute it in court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oak Brook, IL

I had to pay back unemployment and I did and i have a written letter or relase of lien from attorney office. They stated I had to go to court to get it removed, but I want to know if I send the letter of release of lien will the credit burears honor that and remove from my credit report.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . No, and the reason is because the credit bureau is relying on the public record of the court judgment and any document outside of the public records will be suspect. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

1

Answered . You say you have a written lien release so you should record that at the county recorders office.

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

1

Answered . The credit bureaus will not drop the notation of the final judgment, even if you were to record the release of lien as my colleague suggested. You should record the release anyway, so that the public record is clear that there is no lien, but the credit bureaus' interest is different.

Credit bureaus are not concerned with liens. They care concerned with credit history. The fact that a judgment was entered against you is considered to be a credit worthy event as it shows that someone had to o through the trouble and hassle of suing you in order to get paid. Even if the debt is now paid, the fact remains that someone had to go through the process of legal action and obtainin a judment.