Skip to main content

Can you hold an inmate longer then there scheduled release date

Dunedin, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

my friend was supposed to be released but was not..i had called the jail multiple times making sure that his release date was correct and i received the same answer every time that it was for today but now they are saying that it was never today that it was scheduled for tomorrow and that is a lie because i spoke with many record specialists and they all told me the same question is can a jail in florida hold you past your release date and if not then how would i go about taking care of this matter because this to me is considered wrongful imprisonment

Attorney Answers 3


There is absolutely nothing that you can do. The jail will release him when they release him, not withstanding all of the sentencing experts in the galaxy.

If its a day late rest assured that they will justify it by some security, processing, lock-down, head-count, or other condition.

Your feelings on the matter or irrelevant and will not help him at all. If he is wrongfully detained then he can hire a civil lawyer and sue (but good luck with that).

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If he is not being released on his scheduled release date there may be a hold for him and it is unlikely that the jail would give you that information. Call his lawyer and have them get to the bottom of this.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Each case has its own facts, and we do not know any of the facts in this one. Prisoners can indeed be held beyond the anticipated release date. Gain time may not be properly awarded. The thing to do is hire a criminal defense attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics