Skip to main content

Can You help me please,to find the right answer (immigration,Criminal issues)

Chicago, IL |

Immigration and Criminal issues: I have 2 prior arrests for driving without DL (misdemeanors). Today I was arrested for small battery which I forgot to pay ( I have very bad memory). Police charged me petit theft,relesed from jail after few hours. Now I have to go to court.
I'm not a THIEF,don't know why security or police didn't understand old guy like me with memory problems.
Will these 3 charges effects me on getting green card in the USA? I heard about some kind of Petit offence exception,is it right? Or time to pack and go home... ( of course I will go to court and explain to Judge what have happened)
Thank You,Thank You HONEST Attorneys

Attorney Answers 7

  1. You need a lawyer. Being old just inn't a legal excuse for taking something without paying for it and this charge could affect your green card status.

  2. Definitely get an attorney for court. More facts needed. Yes, there is a petty offense exception, but I strongly recommend you to meet with an immigration attorney. Bring your status-related and pending immigrant case with court dispositions. My office is located in Chicago if you need assistance. Good luck.

  3. These are fairly minor but if you have "GOOD" criminal representation, you may be able to have the charges dismissed.

  4. I would try to get you theft school so the case will not go on your record. Where and when do you have court?

  5. Make sure you have a criminal defense attorney who understands the immigration consequences of any plea. If this is really just shoplifting a battery, it is likely not to be a problem for immigration.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

  6. Coincidentally, many of my clients also have very bad memories. At times I learn new facts of the criminal case before a hearing which they omit in numerous prior discussions. I think that is endemic.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  7. Make sure you have a good Criminal defense attorney who also understands the implications the criminal charge will have on your ability to adjust your immigration status. A good criminal defense lawyer can dispose of the theft charge and depending on your background, the charge could also be expunged. Call my office for more info!

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics