Can you have multiple people (jointly) be agents on a durable power of attorney. my mother wants all of her children jointly.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New Cumberland, PA

my mother wants all of her children jointly as agents on her durable power of attoney. Is this legal?

1. Marshall D. Chriswell

4

1

Answered . Yes, your mother can name you all as agents, either jointly (you must make all decisions together) or severally (any one of you can make a particular decision).

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
    714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
    Indiana, PA 15701
    (888) 438-5977
    (724) 465-5826

***

Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, and general civil disputes.

***

Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

2. James P. Frederick

4

Answered . While I agree with my colleagues that this can be done, your mother should give very careful consideration to whether or not it *should* be done. I have seen numerous situations where doing this has created problems, down the road. In cases where one agent does not agree on a course of action, it can paralyze the others and prevent them from taking care of the principal. It also tends to result in situations where ALL of the named agents are required to participate in an action, before it can take place. This can make things administratively difficult. I normally suggest that one person be named and the others can be named as successive alternate agents.

James Frederick

3. Lisa Kaye Deselms Dent

4

Answered . I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Frederick. One at a time. No matter how functional and close siblings are, nothing brings out the worst in them more than the parents' illness and finances. No one wants to set their children up for failure.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Yes-she can name them jointly.