Can you go to jail for writing bad checks?

Junction City, KS |

4 bad checks were written for 50 dollars and less. They were written in 2010. They were bad checks. Amount is now added up to almost 700 dollars for all 4 checks. Was under age when checks were written. Spottless criminal backround.

1. Yes, writing a bad check is a criminal offense in Kansas. Therefore, if convicted, you can serve jail time. Normally this does not happen. Most prosecutors will have a bad check policy under which the criminal case will be dismissed upon payment of the checks and associated costs. I wonder about the statement that the checks were written when you were under age. Normally being under age restricts your ability to enter contracts. It makes me wonder if something else is going on. You should speak with a local attorney about the local programs offered by the prosecution and address the age issue.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

2. If I'm not mistaken, Dick Hickock, one of the "In Cold Blood" murderers was in jail for kiting checks when he met his partner Perry Smith. And that was in Kansas. So, yes, it's possible.

**Disclaimer: Charles F. Basil is licensed in CT only. Any opinion given is based upon the general principles of law, but local laws may vary. This opinion is given for informational purposes only, and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Opinions on a website can not and should not supplant the advice of an attorney presented with all of the facts in your jurisdiction.**