Can you go to jail for writing bad checks?

Asked over 2 years ago - Junction City, KS

4 bad checks were written for 50 dollars and less. They were written in 2010. They were bad checks. Amount is now added up to almost 700 dollars for all 4 checks. Was under age when checks were written. Spottless criminal backround.

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, writing a bad check is a criminal offense in Kansas. Therefore, if convicted, you can serve jail time. Normally this does not happen. Most prosecutors will have a bad check policy under which the criminal case will be dismissed upon payment of the checks and associated costs. I wonder about the statement that the checks were written when you were under age. Normally being under age restricts your ability to enter contracts. It makes me wonder if something else is going on. You should speak with a local attorney about the local programs offered by the prosecution and address the age issue.

2. Charles F Basil

1

Answered . If I'm not mistaken, Dick Hickock, one of the "In Cold Blood" murderers was in jail for kiting checks when he met his partner Perry Smith. And that was in Kansas. So, yes, it's possible.