Can you give me advice, and also help me get a pro bono lawyer for my sister? she has a public defender.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Binghamton, NY

my sister lives in New Berlin, NY. She has been jailed last December, and is looking at jail time again, because she is going to trial on a different case. Her daughter is in foster care. She has been in foster cares since December 2011. It has been a year and a month. I need to get her a real lawyer. She says her public defender has not helped her since this whole incident started. He won't even call her. He emails her, but only after several calls to his office, and several emails to him. She needs help to sort all this mess out. She is doing it by herself, and getting nowhere. She has no money, and would need a pro-bono lawyer.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is extremely rare for an attorney to take on a criminal case pro bono. This is due in large part because people who cannot afford an attorney get one for free from the state. In your sisters case if she isn't satisfied with her attorney she should mention it to the court and ask that a new attorney be assigned to represent her.

  2. John M. Cromwell


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Keep in mind that if she asks the judge to assign her a different attorney, a) she might like the new attorney even less than her current one, and b) the new attorney will require time to get up to speed on the case, thus delaying it even more.

  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unlikrly to find a pro bono criminal defense lawyer because there are public defenders. She can ask the Judge to appoint someone else.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child support and child custody

Child support is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent in order to help cover the costs of raising the child.

Donald G. Criscuolo

Relocation After Divorce

Perhaps no other area of family law is more emotionally charged and difficult to deal with than the issue of relocation with the children after a divorce. When negotiating timesharing, a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,470 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,470 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering