Can you give cash prizes at a charity bowling event

West Yarmouth, MA |

i am part of a local 501c3 non-profit organization and am wondering if I can give cash prizes at a bowling fundraising event we are trying to conduct.

You should check with the organization's lawyer. Tax exempt entities have to follow certain rules to keep their 501(c)(3) status, which could get jeopardized by not knowing them. Please see the 2 Nolo "how to" guides linked below.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.